Nine organisations issue a joint position in support of origin marking in the context of the European Commission's proposed legislative package comprising a draft regulation on consumer product safety (COM(2013)0078) including a key provision on mandatory origin marking (Article 7).
1. Origin marking would help consumers to recognise the level of product safety
2. Indication of origin is key to improve transparency of consumer products to the benefit of consumers
3. More transparency supports traceability
4. Origin Marking is a key measure to foster the level-playing field at international level
5. Benefits to the consumer outweigh by far any additional costs for enterprises applying the indication of origin and reduces the volume for administrative corrective action