The Commission published a new trade and investment strategy for the EU, Trade for All, on 14 October. EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström presented the next steps for the Commission at DG Trade’s Civil Society Dialogue meeting on 20 October, which Cerame-Unie attended.
The strategy document outlines the EU's 5 priorities for trade:
- Trade and investment are powerful engines for growth and job creation
- An effective policy that tackles new economic realities and lives up to its promises (in terms of implementation, enforcement, SMEs and workers)
- A more transparent trade and investment policy
- A trade and investment policy based on values (in line with the public’s expectations and promoting sustainable development, human rights and good governance)
- A forward-looking programme of negotiations to shape globalisation (by reinvigorating the multilateral system and moving bilateral relationships forward)